Monday, June 15, 2020

There's always a bigger fish

I rule the ocean and the Ninevites know this. They worship me day and night. But I know there's someone much bigger out there. Someone much more worthy of worship than myself. And I constantly pray to that someone to help the Ninevites understand just how much he loves them and how much greater he is than me. It is wonderful to see so many men and women give their obeisance to me but I am just a fish. I may be one of the biggest fish but there is a bigger fish in the sea. And he swims all around me because he is everywhere present. His throne dwells in the highest of Heavens. I do not seek the approval of man. I seek his approval alone and I want the Ninevites to know him as closely as I do. He is a bigger fish.

There is a prophet of Israel who has been called up by the bigger fish. His name is Jonah. I am weary of this Jonah character. He doesn't seem like he approves of any one other than Israel. He certainly does not share my evangelistic goal of reaching the Ninevites either. He is in favor of Israel only. He must needs a change of heart to help him understand that the bigger fish is who the Ninevites need to know. They can worship the bigger fish too! They don't need to be destroyed. I don't know why Jonah would prefer to see the destruction of these people. They aren't the most pleasant but I know them well enough to know that if they saw the bigger fish, they would worship the bigger fish immediately and give up their evil ways. They play with me daily.

Jonah has departed on a boat heading the wrong direction! Why?!? Does he not care that these people might be destroyed if they continue in their sins? I must head after this boat! I must do all I can to save these people of Nineveh to help them see the bigger fish's love for them! I swim as fast as I can. Dear God, slow the boat down! Let me help the Ninevites in whatever way I can! He does! The bigger fish hears my prayer. A storm so vast, the boat starts to sink! There's nothing the sailors can do to prevent it. Unless they throw out Jonah! And they do! But Jonah can't in any way swim all the way from here to Nineveh now! I know someone who can though!

I seize this opportunity given to me by the bigger fish. I open my mouth wide and gulp! I've swallowed whole the Prophet of God! He's in my belly! He isn't going any where but to Nineveh if I can help it. I swim as fast as I can. If I do that, I can get there in three days flat! I hear him beginning to pray from the depths of my belly. He is calling out for a second chance. Is this true repentance? I know not yet. But my intention is not to punish or harm him. My focus is on the people of Nineveh and the mission ahead. That is the mission to deliver this holy Prophet of God to the Ninevites.

We are almost here. He has been praying. He seems that he does have an understanding of the mission. We have arrived at Nineveh. I am eager to spit him out. These people must know the bigger fish! They must hear his Word! I eagerly spit out the holy Prophet of God onto the shore! He is covered in my spittle but he knows now that he must speak of the bigger fish to the Ninevites. I wave him goodbye and pray once more to the bigger fish. A prayer of thanks for all that he has done to allow the Ninevites to know him. That the holy Prophet of God succeeds in his mission and that he comes to understand that success is not the destruction of these people but in their conversion. I pray that prayer of thanks and swim away. The bigger fish assures me that the holy Prophet of God will succeed. He says no more. It is not for me to know. I may be a big fish...but there is always a bigger fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment