Saturday, March 27, 2021

A Steed Fit For a King


Well you may remember my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather from another story. To be honest, I don't even know if that was a sufficient number of "greats" in that there title for my wonderful ancestor who spoke to that sorcerer Balaam long ago. But we are certainly related. Been hauling heavy loads for my master faithfully ever since I was born. Well, that's technically only three years! I'm not nearly as old as he was when he spoke those memorable words to that sorcerer but I've got his blood well-laced in me.

I am not that important of a creature, obviously. Only a mere donkey. But I am proud of my ancestor. I remember it's been passed on in my family that a Great King will ride on the back of one of us some day. Maybe it is so but I think it has always been wishful thinking on our family's part due to the greatness of that old ancestor of mine. I heard there was a King coming into town though this day. People are laying palm branches before his entrance. This must be a great king, it may even be the Great King.

Knock, knock! There is a knock at the door of my master's house. I can make two faces that seem to have followed this certain man around for quite a while. This man, I have heard, has performed many miracles, and the most recent one was to raise a dead man back to life. The local Sanhedrin's been angered by him. They've been trying to get rid of him ever since he started teaching. They're a load of hypocrites though. They do nothing but cause scandals to us. We've seen the way this man acts, behaves, and lives out his teachings. He is greater than all kings of the world, truly.

"We need a foal!" They say to my master.

"I've got horses in the stable, come with me." My master replies.

"We were not told to grab a horse."

"But what could you possibly want?"

A foal but not a horse? Unheard of! My mom and I are tied up to a pole right now in this stable but I am the only foal who isn't a horse here! "Mom!" I bray, "Remember that story that our old ancestor used to tell!"

"Yes dear, I believe it is coming true in you!"

"We need the foal of a donkey." We can hear the man's disciples saying to my master. I can make out their faces. It's Peter and John! These are his two greatest disciples that I hear the people talking about. They're coming to untie me and my mother! "Our King needs you!" They say to us. They lead us through many crowds of people up to the man who raised the dead back to life and they yield my mother and I both to him. "We have found the donkey!"

"Hosanna! Hosanna!" People are crying and rejoicing and laying palm frons all around us as the man mounts upon me and begins to proceed through the City of Jerusalem. This is the prophecy of my great ancestor fulfilled. How can the man who raised the dead back to life not be a Great King? He is greater than all kings of the Earth! Indeed, He is the King of All! Give glory to the King of All, the Great King, who now rides me victoriously through the City of Jerusalem on this Sunday of many palms!

No comments:

Post a Comment