Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Jordanes - a mighty lion

*I have heard different accounts of what occurred between the lion and the donkey in the following story but the one I base this story on is from the Orthodox Wiki here.


I have been a beast, filled with passions for years. I have been inflicted with the sin of pride throughout my entire life. But like the Apostle Paul, I have been given a thorn by God. I pray that it be taken away. This man here, praying by the River Jordan, I know that he has humility. He shall most assuredly be able to take this thorn from my paw. The pain sears through into my entire being as my pride is cast aside. I lower my head to this unknown man and extend my paw. He pulls the thorn out from it and with it all the beastliness and the pride that were in me has been removed. He introduces himself to me as Gerasimos and invites me to join the monastery.

I have never been a monk before as lions are typically not permitted to join monasteries but they have allowed me to join this monastery and pray with the brothers. I have been given the task to defend this little donkey that moves their heavy loads from place to place as they work during the day. This donkey is most certainly a donkey that is fit for a true king who has learned humility. For the King of All Himself, in the height of His earthly glory, rode upon the back of this donkey's ancestor through the city of Jerusalem! Lions are the king of all beasts and this donkey is my faithful steed!

Sometimes, work is tiring and I am subjected to the harsh torments of the body as I learn to commit myself to humility. I fell asleep but once watching my friend and only awoke upon hearing the cries of "HEE-HAW! HEE-HAW! HEE-HAW!!!" I lifted my head up from the ground, looked out, and saw those awful brutes carrying my dear friend away. "That's not your donkey!" I roared at them, but they were too far removed. I couldn't save my poor friend. I returned to the brothers in sadness. They believed I ate the donkey. I might as well have for the friendship with this animal that I once lived with seemed a distant past.

They punished me by having me do the donkey's tasks. I served those tasks faithfully for I knew that it was in the Will of God that this evil act should transpire to teach me the humility of doing the donkey's work. I know the Justice of God will work all things to His Good. I still look for the donkey each day as I faithfully and obediently perform its tasks. It is much better to be accused of something wicked than it is to have actually committed the wicked act.

One day, I hear out in the field while moving the logs a cry, "HEE-HAW!" Could it be? I lift my head up. I see it! It's my old friend crying out for me! And there are the robbers! "Not this time!" I roar at them. They have three camels with them. What a prize! I extend my claws out, roar with vigor, and rise on my hind legs to make myself out to be larger. The robbers are frightened. They yield the donkey and the camels too! I am so excited to be united to the donkey again! "Hee-haw!" the donkey cries at it licks me lovingly upon the face. "Let's go back to the monastery! The brothers will be so elated to have you back with them!" I say to the donkey. "The camels can come too since now they have no master."

The brothers see us, the donkey and I with the three camels. They see the donkey and realize they had made a mistake in accusing me. There is Gerasimos with them. I run toward Gerasimos, my human friend, the monk who first received me into the monastery. Years later, he has since reposed. I have great sadness in losing my dear friend but great joy in knowing that he has attained union with God. Creation shall be reconciled together with God. Here I lie upon his bodily resting place. A wooden cross on his grave. I am about to make my own final rest. Lions don't live forever. I have already said my final goodbye to the donkey. Here, I must now repose.

No comments:

Post a Comment